Awards: Gold Mundus Vini 2015 Vintage
Producer: Château Rol Valentin
Wine Type: Still
Closure: Natural Cork
Grapes: 10% Cabernet Franc, 90% Merlot
Food Pairing: Steak entrecôte Marchand de vin (red-wine sauce and shallots), Grass-fed wagyu rib-eye fillet, Roast leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic.
About the Winery:
Château Rol Valentin is a small, 7.3-hectare (18-acre) Saint-Emilion Grand Cru estate established in the mid-1990s by former French football star, Eric Prissette. The property lies just over two kilometers (one mile) north of St-Emilion town.
The estate was later acquired by husband-and-wife team Nicolas and Alexandra Robin in 2009. It is one of the five properties controlled by their company, Vignobles Robin, in the so-called "right-bank" Bordeaux region northeast of the Dordogne River, including Pomerol, Montagne-Saint-Emilion and Castillon Côtes de Bordeaux.
Château Rol Valentin itself is planted predominantly with Merlot with around 10% Cabernet Franc. The estate vineyards are divided into two blocks, with one area at the château comprising about 60% of the vines on clayey limestone soils while the remaining 40% lies in a parcel of sandier soil just northwest of Saint-Emilion town.